Friday, April 16, 2010

Sometimes it is OK to Brag...


Well sometimes you just want people to know certain things about you that others might find interesting or funny you just want to brag. In this case I just want to brag!

Back in 1998 - 2004 I was doing a lot of work for the Walt Disney World College Program (CP). After finishing my first CP in 1998 Disney asked students to help recruit from their individual Universities or Colleges as a way to increase the number of attendees at the Information Session put on by recruiters from Disney. Our tasks were to speak with professors, Deans and HR as well as to give presentation to business classes, student groups as well as to conduct your own information sessions about the WDWCP. I was asked to be a Campus rep for Assumption College, the College that I attended and graduated from.

During the next few years I was asked to travel to more than 50 colleges and Univ. to help recruit in areas that needed extra help or where there happened to be no campus reps. I traveled to presentation in more than 8 states and helped increase numbers in some cases by more than 400%! I was very proud of the work I did as well as the work that others were willing to do for me and for Disney. An example of this would be my sister, Heather, who would attend presentations and help staffing career fair booths as well as doing other tasks. Thanks Heather! I will never forget her help!

To get to my point: One day around 2003 I received a very large package from WDW. After just coming back I thought that maybe I had forgotten something in my resort room and maybe they were mailing it back. Upon opening the package there was a letter from the Director of the WDWCP thanking me for my work and determination to increase overall participation levels as well as for the outstanding dedication to the CP. As I slowly opened the package i came face to face with something I never thought I would ever see let alone touch. I received the coveted Mousecar Award!

These awards are very rarely given out and was first created by Walt Disney himself to honor Cast Members for their individual dedication to the company in Helping to Create the Disney Magic!

Thank you Disney for recognizing me as I am honored to work for this company with such an outstanding devoting to our Guests and all the other outstanding Disney Cast Members!

2 comments:

  1. New follower here! :)

    Congrats on your Mousecar! I hadn't heard of such a thing before reading this post. I will be doing the WDW College Program this Fall in Attractions (woohoo!), and I am very interested in how you were able to go to different colleges as a Campus Rep after. I am graduating this semester so I was wondering if I would be able to still be a Campus Rep... sounds like yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my blog! Congrats on getting into the WDW CP as it is very difficult to do so. After you complete your program and assuming you are in good standing with the company, they will ask for those interested in becoming Campus Reps and then their will be elections if there are more than one interested from the same college. Sometimes they allow 2 or more depending on the size of the college.

    It is definately worth doing as it allows you to talk about your program and remember all of those good times but it also shows Disney your dedication should you want to continue with disney at some point in a full time position! YOu also get some perks like extra tickets sometimes, dinners and other types of freebies!

    Again congrats and keep me updated or as me questions at anytime if you have any! What attraction will you be in? My first program was in attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom, Dinoland USA, the Boneyard! I was part of the opening team and absolutely loved it! Feel free to ask any questions at any time as I still love talking about Disney as I still work for them!

    ReplyDelete